Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Session 6: Obstacles to Persuasion


The session-5 started with SKG sir giving us some theoretical inputs about the Persuasion. A video of “The Pursuit to Happiness” was shown and then we discussed about people’s attitude. Differences in Attitude and Behaviour were elaborated in the session. Attitude is something which is not expressed explicitly where as Behaviour is expressed explicitly (Thanks to Joydeep for revising!). It is important to note that Persuasion is a process of changing people’s attitude from Position A to Position B. (See Figure)

There can be various obstacles for changing the attitude of the people. People may like to perceive what they want to; they may like to remember what they want to; they might relate the experience they want to; some body may give forewarning of the persuasion; People may have been committed to contrary cause & the pressure of peer group can cause obstacle as well. We did a small exercise on the Obstacles and related strategies to overcome them.



The figure above states various examples dealt in the class reflecting the obstacles in persuasion.
The second part started with the presentation where we saw a video clip when Anup explaining importance of persuasion in Personal Life as well (!). They also showed some traits of decision makers from the movie clip- “Ek ruka hua Faisla”. The point they wanted to emphasise was that different decision makers need different strategies to be persuaded. The next presentation was by Jatin & Mukesh. Here we saw the anger of SKG sir. I must confine that sir has his own way of persuading the students. He himself comes with such preparation and knowledge & then lists down all the expectations from us. Failing on which, he clearly gives feedback. By this way, he also inspires others to work harder.
Assignment- Influencing Audio Clip
I also submitted two audio clips in which I had tried to influence two people in the work-place situation. The first one was when I was trying to Influence Mahesh, my colleague, to substitute me for a meeting. I tried to be Friendly with him and gave reason for my absence. I also bargained with him on the time of the meeting. At the same time I tried to insist the importance of the meeting and why it was important not to miss it. In the second clip I called my friend and tried to create an Onsite-Offshore situation, where I am trying to influence him to provide more human resource for a project. I tried giving reason as well as bargaining for the number of people. I also insisted importance by showing that more projects are coming. At the end he told me that he cannot give more human resource unless he has P.O. from the client (I swear I didn’t tell him to say that). To which I bargained two days time and asked to provide my required number of people after two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment